Karunguravai rice or Karunkuravai rice is a traditional rice variety of Tamilnadu and a choice of ancient Tamilians. It is known for its medicinal value and used as medicine by Sidhha doctors. This rice cure diseases such as filariasis, leprosy and many skin diseases.
The rice comes under the genus Orayca. The grains of this rice comes in red and black varieties. The red and black varieties should not be mixed together but, the red or black variety can be mixed with other rice varieties. This rice is also grown and harvested in states of Karnataka and Kerala. This rice is also called ‘viagra rice’, the name given by Siddha doctors. It is one of the rural medicine preferred by rural people as an Ayurvedic type or desi medicine.
Cultivation of karunguravai rice:
The rice basically comes from the grass family of Orayca. It is best cultivated in the state of Tamilnadu between December 15-March 14 and harvested between June 1-August 31. This rice basically has the life span of 120 to 125 days between which it is cultivated.
It is one of the rice cultivated by the ancient method and free from the use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides and encourages green farming. It is best cultivated in clayey, Alluvial, and sandy soil the sequence shows starting from clayey to sandy. This rice grows to a height of about 100 cm.
Health Benefits of karunguravai rice :
1) Improves immune and nervous system: It has a high content of iron which helps to strengthen the immune system as well as nervous system especially during fever.
2) It prevents the white spot from leaking and decreases its tendency to spread. It also finds its application in skin diseases cure and treatment.
3) Most importantly it is used as rural medicine by Siddha doctors and folk medicinal practitioners.
4) It finds it application in the prevention of side effects caused by balsam.
5) Prevent leprosy and eliminates poison: This rice when boiled with kallip milk and honey mixture prevents Elephantiasis(Filariasis), prevents leprosy, and eliminates poison from the body.
6) It also removes and dilute the bad cholesterol from the body.
How to include this rice in your diet?
The most famous use of this rice, basically in medicine is: Its extract is used in Siddha medicine. After removing the husk of paddies, the clean Karunguavai rice and Samba rice are processed. It is the best solvent for ion exchange in the preparation of muppa. It is best for the elimination of heavy metals containing Mercury, Vanadium, Arsenic, Nickel, Copper, Cadmium, Barium and Tin.
This rice is also used to prepare Dosa, Porridge, Idli, etc.
B&B Organics Karunkuruvai Hand Pounded Black Rice, 3 kg – https://www.amazon.in/Organics-Karunkuruvai-Hand-Pounded-Black/dp/B01N51PSKN?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1